As part of our planning work for Melrose Commons in the Bronx, we helped the local community group, Nos Quedamos, and Phipps Houses, the oldest non-profit housing developer in New York City — plan for a new mixed-use affordable housing development, keeping with the local Urban Planning Guidelines.
The building was built under the New York City/New York State 85/85 program and now provides permanent housing, as per the following: 51% of the units for formerly homeless families, the remaining 49% are for families earning up to 60% of the median income.
The building program for the site, proposed by a joint venture of Nos Quedamos and Phipps Houses, called for the creation of a new mixed-use, seven-story residential building, running the full block along Third Avenue and 100 feet along East 158th Street. The project encompasses 70,000 square feet, including a 10,000 square foot medical facility.
Developed and operated by Bronx Lebanon Hospital, the medical facility is located on the ground floor, as well as a portion of the lower level. This facility includes family health, dentistry and radiology. The ground floor also contains a retail space and building program space — the residential lobby, management office, security office, community room and laundry room. The residential portion of the building rises six stories above the ground level and contains 61 dwelling units (10 units per floor).