Press | June 1, 2011

Brooklyn’s New People Pleaser Gets Gold Star

By Ros Lo

Brokers Weekly

 

Out by the hustle and bustle of Brooklyn’s busiest terminal by Atlantic Avenue, there is sight of some green.

 

The newest co-op building on the block, The Atlantic Terrace, is the neighborhood’s first LEED Gold-certified green development, which is bringing not only environmentally conscious, but affordable living space to Brooklyn.

 

The stylish building on 212 South Oxford Street overlooks South Oxford Park and Atlantic Avenue. The area as seen recent transformations, with new townhouses and developments. The bustling Atlantic Avenue terminal provides a popular junction where many people commute, shop, and work.

 

The Atlantic Terrace was developed by Magnusson Architecture and Planning, Fifth Avenue Committee, and Mega Contracting Inc., a project started in 2007 and completed mid-20l0.

 

It was built with the goal of creating a community of mixed-income co-ops, in order to encourage a diverse group of people in Brooklyn to live alongside each other.

 

The 10-story building has 80 total units, 75% of which are affordable with the remaining 25% market-rate housing.

 

Heather Gershen of Fifth Avenue Committee explained, “This block is part of the Atlantic Terminal Urban Renewal Area – a popular thing in 70s was to demolish buildings. They started redeveloping parcels of this area, lots of townhouses, and this is the last piece.”

 

Atlantic Terrace was formerly a city-owned Brownfield site, a gasoline station. As part of the renewal effort, the property was redeveloped, gutting the seven tanks and the contaminated soil. The catchphrase attached to the project was that the site went “from brown to green to gold,” Heather said.

 

After a lengthy process of designing the area as well as obtaining LEED Gold certification, the building is ready for its opening in a week, and is already 75% sold.

 

Walking into the lobby, the space is sleek and modern, with bamboo floors giving off a natural, earthy feel.

 

A concierge greets residents as they enter the green space. All materials in the building are indigenous to Brooklyn and eco-friendly, from the recycled glass from the Brooklyn Navy Yard to the wooden furniture designed in Williamsburg. The building also features locally sourced brick, a second floor landscaped green roof, and high-efficiency, individually controlled heating/cooling units.

 

The co-op units range from $365,000 flats to $850,000 lofts. The duplexes feature private terraces with Midtown Manhattan views. The largest unit is 1,818 square feet, with two bedrooms and two bathrooms, its well as a separate dining area and a staircase that leads up to the study room and loft above.

 

The bedrooms don’t skimp out on size, with the master bedroom’s dimensions at 16’9″ by 14’3″. The walls feature white, non-toxic paint, complementing the warm tones of the bamboo floor and sleek black counter tops.

 

Open gourmet kitchens feature Bosch appliances, low flow faucets, compact fluorescent lighting, and IceStone countertops made from recycled glass and concrete. The bathrooms keep with the eco-friendly theme, with FSC certified vanities, EPA Water Sense high efficiency dual flush toilets.

 

All residents share the same common space. The 1,500 s/f lounge opens out to its signature amenity: the landscaped roof terrace, which the building was named after. It is furnished with benches, flowers, and trees, for an escape from city life. With concrete and construction ever present in the area, the terrace transforms the view into a lush, green environment.

 

The goal when creating Atlantic Terrace was bold: to create a environmentally conscious, building in a convenient location. Every facet of it supports Brooklyn’s economy.

 

“It’s amazing to be part of this ground swell of support for the local economy, to be able to point to our project and to say we’re a part of it. The public has given a really supportive response,” Gershen said.

 

Gershen was confident that the building would attract people who strongly supposed the environment as well as economy. “The buyers looking here agree with our vision, whether it’s having mixed-income building or sustainable building, they can say, ‘This is the New York building I want to be a part of’. There is a real alignment between the people purchasing and what we’re offering,” she said.

 

Being in Brooklyn’s busiest intersection doesn’t mean it’s devoid of green space. Just a block away, The Atlantic challenges conventional perceptions that luxurious buildings need to be wasteful, use exotic materials, or be relegated to the wealthy.

 

It calls for people from all walks of life in Brooklyn to join together, and create change for the better.